Saltwater fishing has always been a great sport to play along. The adventure, the wait, the tension and the happiness after everything is always worth it. There can be many failures and disappointments in this field but if you succeed, the reward is something which will make you the happiest person alive.
So how can you increase the chances of success? The correct equipment, the best material, and the best saltwater fishing line with a whole lot of patience can guarantee you the chances of getting your fish. The biggest tool which ensures you your reward is the fishing line you use in your fishing tackle. Earlier, fishing lines were made of plant stalk and leaves. Later on, in the modern times, nylon, polyethylene, and monofilament kind of materials were introduced for the making of the fishing lines which were more durable and resistant to abrasion.
- 1 how to select best saltwater fishing line?
- 2 Best fluorocarbon fishing line for saltwater fishing
- 3 Best monofilament for saltwater fishing
- 4 Best braided line for saltwater fishing
how to select best saltwater fishing line?
In the past, fishermen didn’t give careful consideration to the saltwater fishing line on their reel. After mono came fluorocarbon offering better-scraped area resistance as well as low visibility and afterward, braids came in the spotlight and the determination extended significantly. Presently with further development in braids and the materials utilized, fishermen would be insightful to return to this key handle segment. Slowly and slowly, the manufacturers are trying their best to bring the best saltwater fishing line for you.
Now the biggest question is how to get the best fishing line for you. How can one find a fishing line which is made only for your requirements and necessity and are the best in quality? First of all, there is some basic necessity every fishing line should fulfill so that there won’t be any problems whatsoever. Here are the standard quality rules of the fishing lines we use:
The line diameter is the most important thing to be considered while buying the best saltwater fishing line. The smaller is the diameter, the better. Why do you ask? They are less visible to the fish, lesser diameter means, more line wire can be spooled onto the reel of the fishing tackle, lure action is better and will cast better than the others. Now you get it?
This can be explained as the resistance of the line towards breakage when it is rubbed onto a hard and rough surface. It is very important aspect as when a big fish pulls and drags your fishing line across the salt water, it is obvious that your line has to go through a lot of underwater sharp rocks and if the line won’t be able to withstand it then it will gradually lead to breakage of the line and this is one of the most annoying things that can happen to us. Many companies make promises about the abrasion resistance of their products, but you also test the abrasion by your own by holding the lines from two ends and then rubbing it on a very hard and rough surface to know if the line is the best saltwater fishing line or not. This will give a little idea about how good is your product before buying it.
Fishing line color
If you ask me then I’ll suggest green and bronze are the best color for your fishing line. Most of the colors like red, blue, yellow fade away by time. Of course, it will fade away, the lines material is hydrophobic and thus will the color will slowly come off. Many companies’ claims about their long lasting line but you should normally buy a green or bronze line which will mix with the off color and sea grass color and will become invisible to the fish.
Stiffness of the line
The word hard used for the lines is not correct. The material should be stiff. Stiffness is the rigidity of the material of the line that can resist the pull to some extent and still remain strong or intact. Under a limited force, it won’t go under any deformation. A fishing braid has to go through a lot of pull and push, of course, it has too strong enough to withstand all the force as you are not going to catch a little wimpy fish but it can be, if lucky, a gigantic fish which will not show any mercy and won’t be easy to capture. So you should also look upon the stiffness of the product you are going to buy or else it will be a problem for you.
After you consider all these aspects, then you have a list of fishing braids ready to captivate you with their quality, look and different claims the manufacturer offers. The most confusing choices are the Monofilament braids and the fluorocarbon braids between the best saltwater fishing lines. If you ask me then I would say that fluorocarbon is the best for me and many other anglers choose the same. Fluorocarbon lines are made of polyvinylidene fluoride or called PVDF which is extremely thin and slim and has a very low visibility. It is very good for a fly fishing rig and is very good for the baits as the hook sets are stronger. It does not extend as much as the monofilament but it still much stronger than mono. Of course, it is a little bit expensive than mono but the price is worth it.
It is my personal opinion and you can choose the others too. Let me make it easy for you by presenting you one of the best products from each category of the fishing lines with all of its pros and cons.
Best fluorocarbon fishing line for saltwater fishing
Seaguar Fluoro Premier 25 Yards Fluorocarbon Leader
This product is one of the best fluorocarbon fishing line and best saltwater fishing line you will find in the market. It is very good for saltwater fishing because its visibility is very low and the diameter of the lines is also very less thus making it easy to lure the fishes with bait. The stiffness of the line is also very good and the shock resistant quality of this product is admirable. It has an incredible knot and good tensile strength making it very good for working against the fishes you want to catch.
- It has the double structure which makes it very strong and stiff against any force acting upon it.
- The knot strength of this product is something well-liked which is very hard to find in different products
- As claimed by the manufacturer the abrasion resistance of this product is very fine.
- The hook set of this product is very strong. It may be not that stretchable but still, it is much stronger.
- It is not that great in spinning reels.
- If not tied properly, it may result in breakage. So you have to be very careful with it. It is one of the main drawbacks and the only thing you can do to prevent is to use them appropriately and knot them correctly.
- Like other fluorocarbons, it sinks faster than mono so it cannot be preferred in all the situations.
- It has a shiny texture which may not be liked by many customers. I have noticed that the structure is oval in shape. That is why the finishing of the braid creates a reflective surface and thus making it shiny
Best monofilament for saltwater fishing
KastKing World’s Premier Copolymer Fishing Line
It can be exclaimed the best mono line and the best saltwater fishing line. This fishing line brings you more close to your fish underwater and lets you confine them with ease. This fishing line is a very logical polymer mix that beats monofilament fishing line with its advanced technology. In a very less amount of cash, you will get the best of your product which will not only provide you many advantages over mono lines without any problems.
KastKing Copolymer with more extends than normal monolines will make it easy for the anglers to catch their fish which tends to move a lot.
It provides you extra stiffness and lower visibility. It offers you many advantages with a very low price.
- The stretch quality of this product is good and it can exclaim that it is more than the braided fishing lines.
- The abrasion resistance of this product is also fine.
- The casts are very extendable and have a smooth texture. The visibility of this product is also very low and seems to have a fine tensile strength.
- It is easy to knot tie with this product without any tensions of breakage or discomforts.
- It has a decent tensile strength and will likely pay back your money with good results.
- It is quite stretchable and thus makes it easy to cast and danger of snapping when collided with a hard surface is also somewhat low.
- Comes in a variety of colors thus making it easy to match the color with the water type.
- It is weightless and feels very light.
- The mono line weakens after a few period of time because of moisture and UV light rays which easily affect the structure of the line. You have to maintain it well for using it for longer periods.
- You have to maintain it well for using it for longer periods.
- The extendable quality makes is difficult to detect small fishes.
- It absorbs water little bit like the original monolines which are usually not preferred.
Best braided line for saltwater fishing
Berkley FireLine Fused Original Braided Fishing LIne
It is also called microfilament line. This type of line comprises of meshed strands of ultra-high-sub-atomic weight polyethylene. This product is difficult to beat even in the event that you are trolling profound baits of about 15-30 feet underwater. The small line diameter across for a given weight class permits it to run further with less line drag. It is one of the best saltwater fishing lines you can find in this category.
- This is the greatest favorable part of this product that makes it splendid for profound water angling specifically. As most peruses will know, monofilament has heaps of extending up to 30%. With this braided product, you can and will feel nibbles in profound water. It has a very low stretch and thus makes it easier to have a better fishing experience.
- This product has a very good resistance to abrasion. It won’t be destroyed by UV light and moisture, unlike the mono ones.
- It is very long lasting and can be your partner for a fair time.
- It is very slim and thin than mono lines but still not that good as fluorocarbon ones.
- It floats quality of this product is very good thus giving you the better opportunity and works in all situations.
- You won’t need extra knots to tie this product and will work fairly with your fishing tackle.
- It is very good for heavy cover.
- It is harder to snip and thus won’t be like by few.
- It will weaken faster than the fluorocarbon lines.
- It is more expensive than monofilament ones.
- Its non-extendable quality may backfire sometimes.
- I feel that it is somewhat visible, at least more than the previous two products I have mentioned above.
So after reading about all the products mentioned above, you must have found the one for you! But if you still confused then let me tell you my preference. Seaguar Fluoro Premier 25 Yards Fluorocarbon Leader is the one for me. Not only is it resistant to shock but its abrasion confrontation is also one of the best I have seen. I have tested the abrasion resistance myself by rubbing it on a hard, solid surface but still, it didn’t have much impact on it. It is very thin and fine and the visibility of this product underwater is very low.
If you take it in any saltwater fishing zone you can see it for yourself. Seaguar Fluoro Premier 25 Yards Fluorocarbon Leader not only gives strength and stiffness but it can be cast well without much problem. If you ask me then I will say that between all of these three best saltwater fishing lines this one is the best. You have to try it to feel the difference. Isn’t it true?
You will find a lot of options for the best saltwater fishing lines but if you choose this one you won’t feel regretted at all! It will long last and will surely captivate your heart, mind and the fish as well!